Try these different forms of mental practice:
1. Close your eyes and imagine your body performing desired tasks: driving a car, running in a field, jumping over a creek, knitting with both hands.
2. Close your eyes and watch yourself performing desired tasks as if you were looking through a lens; like watching yourself on TV.
3. Close your eyes and imagine yourself performing one of your home exercises with your affected arm or leg (examples include: raising your hand to your ear, reaching behind your back, grasping and releasing a ball).
4. You can also listen to pre-recorded mental practice sessions on the SaeboMind website.
Mental Practice Activity Sample
Step 1. Watch this video of a sample home mental practice routine:
Step 2. Sit in a quiet room, close your eyes, and listen to the same video. Imagine yourself performing the routine as you are listening.
Step 3. Now return to the table and watch the video while performing the routine with your affected arm.
Complete steps 1-3 daily for at least one week before adding a new routine.
- PAGE, S. J., & PETERS, H. (2014). Mental practice: Applying motor PRACTICE and neuroplasticity principles to increase upper extremity function. Stroke (1970), 45(11), 3454-3460. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.114.004313
Page updated: 3/4/22